Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Love What You Love

I want to talk about something in this post that I feel is very important. I said in my first post that I am a nerd, and I am. I was never that good in science or math, I was terrible at sports and most of my early friends were to be found in the pages of books like The Black Cauldron. I was bullied mercilessly growing up, and I had very few friends.

Then I got into role playing games in college and my circle of friends began to expand. After that I started playing a LARP, which I no longer do, and I met my best friend and he took me to my first Origins. It was there that I found my people. I was welcome there. It didn't matter that I was new to everything because people were willing to show me the ropes and help me out where I needed it. It was at that time I learned it was ok to love what I loved.

I don't have much advice that I can give that's worth much but let your humble Captain tell you this. Love what you love and don't let anyone bully you over it. It might take a while but there are like minded people out there. Don't let the haters trick you into thinking that you're wrong for loving the fandoms that you love. Let your freak flag fly.

People have your back. I have your back and it is important to me that you all know that. It took me more than thirty years to find people who liked the same things I liked and who would accept me for me. You'll find people who accept you too, it might take a while but it will happen. Don't give up and don't give anyone the satisfaction of thinking that they pushed you away from what you love.

Love what you love proudly.

Just something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment