Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Orson Scott Card, Geeks Out and Creator vs. Creation

I'm pretty sure by now everyone's heard that Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game has been turned into a movie and is soon to be released as a summer block buster. I'm also sure that those in the nerd community have heard that there is a protest movement being lead by the group Geeks Out. Geeks Out wants people to boycott the movie because of Card's views on homosexuality and same sex marriage, a move they have every right to make. That's part of having freedom of speech. Just like Orson Scott Card has a right to publish his political statements. What neither side has is a right to freedom from the consequences of speech, not that I think what Geeks Out is doing should HAVE negative consequences but I'm sure there could be from someone.

Now I have to be honest. I'm not at all familiar with the science fiction writings of Orson Scott Card. I've seen his name on books in book stores and libraries but none of his books ever leaped out and said READ ME, at least to me. What I do know is that Card has a not insignificant fan base, some of which are probably in the LGBT community. Hearing your favorite author, one whom wrote about acceptance of people who were different, suddenly start talking about how you had a mental disorder has to be a jarring experience and it is not one I would wish on anyone. It probably feels like a betrayal of a very personal nature. I know that if I suddenly found out that my favorite author hated something that was an integral part of who I was I would be pretty devastated, and I'm not sure I could continue reading that person's work.

The thing is Card's outspoken nature really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Based on what I've read, and granted this was on his wikipedia page so take this with a grain of salt, he used to hold secular humanist revivals at conventions where he, and again this is entirely based off my readings I could be wrong, made fun of certain religious conventions. He was just as unapologetic about that as he is about his views now. Now I think that he was being a jerk then, and he's being a jerk now. Nothing has changed except the target of his ire. He converted at some point to Mormonism and that's his choice, he came to a personal revelation and that's a very personal journey. I can't say that I agree with his religion of choice but it is his choice, and that has to be respected. What I can't respect is being a jerk. I am making the choice to support Geeks Out and their boycott because I think, while Card is entitled to his opinion, and entitled to publish his opinion, he is not entitled to be free from people being put off by his opinion.

Here's where it gets a little rocky though. See I just said in my previous post that people should love what they love, and that includes the science fiction of a jerk like Orson Scott Card. Let me explain. As I said, Card has a not insignificant fan base and many of these people have been waiting decades for Ender's Game to be made into a movie. They have every right to want to go see that movie, and they aren't your enemy for wanting to go see it. Some people have the ability to separate the creation from the creator, and they should be allowed to enjoy what they enjoy without being harangued about it. Just because they like his science fiction doesn't mean they agree with his politics.

I'm making the choice to support the boycott for a number of reasons, but it boils down to this. I have gay friends that are nerds and who are familiar with Card's rants and I want to show solidarity with them in this.

Look into the issue yourselves and make your own choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment